Laser Cutting and Etching
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Laser Cutting and Etching[edit | edit source]
Laser Cutter & Etching Group[edit | edit source]
|Trainers:||Dave Tesche, Michael Dennis|
Equipment Safety[edit | edit source]
BEWARE MULTIPLE HAZARDS Laser radiation can cause blindness. Laser radiation can cause burns. Laser radiation can start fires. Shock hazard - High Voltages present. Moving parts can crush or cut. Fumes, ash and residue from laser operations may be toxic.
- Only members in good standing who have been qualified through training (see Required Orientation, below) may operate the laser.
- Always perform an inspection of the laser and auxiliary equipment before applying power. Report damage to the Laser Master (LAMA).
- Never use the laser unless an operable CO2 fire extinguisher at hand.
- Start the chiller, ventilator and air assist pump before starting the laser.
- The key is intended to ensure that the laser is safely disabled before performing maintenance, and disabled when unattended. Make sure the key is controlled at all times - in your possession or locked away.
- Home the laser as soon as it is connected to the network.
- Remember to focus the laser before etching or cutting.
- In the event of a fire, press the emergency stop. If the fire does not self-extinguish, use a CO2 extinguisher on the laser.
- If fire spreads beyond the laser, evacuate the area, sound the fire alarm, call security, 911, and the Make717 organizers.
- Turn the key off and remove it when you are done your job.
- Clean the laser when finished with it. Do not attempt to clean the mirrors.
- Power off all the auxiliary equipment when done.
- Wash your hands after handling ash from the laser. Protective gloves are provided if you prefer.
- UV protective eye wear is provided if you intend to watch the laser for prolonged periods of time.
Required Orientations[edit | edit source]
All users of the laser have to take an orientation class and pass a practicum under the supervision of a trainer. The classes are scheduled according to demand, but we try to do at least one class a month.